Coral Springs High football moves forward under new head coach after forfeiting its first two scheduled games
Coral Springs, Florida – After weeks of uncertainty surrounding the program, Coral Springs High School football is moving ahead with a new head coach and a revised start to its 2026 season.
Kevin Smith has taken over as head coach of the Colts, giving the program new leadership after a late coaching change. The team will forfeit its first two scheduled games before finally taking the field in early September.
Coral Springs High was originally scheduled to play Pembroke Pines Charter and Forest Hill High School. Both games will now be forfeited, meaning the Colts will not play those contests before beginning their season against Marjory Stoneman Douglas on Thursday, September 3.
The unusual start follows the departure of Travis Shelton, who had been hired in February. Shelton worked with the football program throughout the spring and summer before leaving in August, just weeks before the start of the regular season.
The coaching change left the Colts facing a difficult situation, but the program will continue under Smith, who brings experience from several levels of football.
Smith was a former collegiate player at Santa Ana College, where he earned All-Conference recognition. His coaching background includes work with youth teams, high school programs and at the collegiate level.
He has also been recognized for his coaching work outside the traditional high school setting. Smith previously earned Coach of the Year honors with Pembroke Pines Optimist.
Coral Springs High athletic director Jasmine Leger said the school believes Smith can provide the structure and leadership the program needs as it works to rebuild.
“We are excited about the leadership, structure, and player-development mindset Coach Smith brings to Coral Springs High School,” Athletic Director Jasmine Leger said. “Right now, our focus is continuing to rebuild the program, develop our student-athletes, and move the football program in a positive direction.”
With the first two games off the schedule, Smith and the Colts now have additional time to prepare before their first official game. Their opening matchup is set for September 3 against Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
The game will mark the beginning of a challenging stretch for Coral Springs. After facing Marjory Stoneman Douglas, the Colts will play consecutive road games against Hallandale and South Broward High School.
A bye week will follow those games, giving the team another break before returning to action in October.
The Colts are scheduled to play their first two October games at home. Cooper City and Hollywood Hills High School will visit Coral Springs High as the team continues through its regular-season schedule.
The final part of the season will take the Colts on the road three times in a row. Coral Springs will travel to face Fort Lauderdale, Coral Springs Charter and J.P. Taravella.
Read also: Miami man accused of attacking woman’s car with metal scooter and biting Coral Springs police office
That closing stretch will bring the team into matchups against three local opponents, adding a familiar regional element to the final weeks of the regular season.
For now, however, the focus is on establishing the program under Smith and getting the players ready for their delayed season opener.
The forfeited games mean Coral Springs will begin the season with two losses on its record without taking the field in either contest. The Colts’ first opportunity to play will instead come on September 3, when they face Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
The late change has created a different path into the 2026 season, but the program is moving forward. With a new coach in place and a schedule that remains largely intact after the opening adjustments, Coral Springs High is preparing to put the uncertainty of the past several weeks behind it and begin building under Smith.



